Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Cool Kenyan Nights

Hello Everyone! I have so much to say and little battery on the computer. We are finally here in Tenwek! The planeride was close to a nightmare with Bethany. She didn't sleep for a long time and then would crash and burn. Once we finally touched down in Nairobi we had to wait for over an hour to report that our 2 actionpackers were lost with all our food. We just got them today though. We stayed one night in Nairobi and it was great but I couldn't sleep b/c I heard something scratching at the tin roof and I was sure it was a giant lizard trying to get in b/c we had pizza in there! We then got up and went grocery shopping with the help of our driver, a sweet guy named Gerald. I'm surprised we made it to Tenwek without any neck or spinal injuries! The ride was rough and I thought at several moments I was going to hurl everywhere!
With all that said the journey was worth it to get here. I am in love with Kenya and it's people. It has the most beautiful flowers and birds and the landscape rivals our most costly American neighborhoods!
Bethany is doing great. She is having a hard time adjusting to the 7 hr time difference but we're working through it. Every morning we have a play date with two other little girls on the compound that is her age. She also loves the Kenyans big smiles and their warmth. They love babies and all try and hold her.
Joey has started working and already had an oncall night. The sad part of this trip is seeing the hospital full of sick people and them not having access to easy treatments to save their lives. It's a sad place. We were touring the hospital yesterday and a baby 2lbs or less was dying right in front of us as we walked in the NICU. Another little boy had galzes in his mouth to keep from bleeding out b/c of a blood disorder he has. Joey said the treatment is easy and simple but not available here:( He later had a bad bleed and Joey said he was terrified. Joey also had a father come in who's wife had just left him with all the children and he tried to poison himself. He was so bad that the 3 foot long tapeworm was coming out of him!! He later died today. The upside is that the hospital is a gospel preaching hospital and there is many Christians here.
My helper started today. She will cook, clean and laundry for me 3x a week. *Sarah- I got Janet, she misses you deeply* I love her already and know that we are going to be great friends. The most simple things here are very laborsome and I need some domestication!!!!
I have so much more to share about an amazing revival that is reaching more than 3,000 women that we know of in less than a 1 1/2. Im thankful I get to watch and hopefully participate in this amazing thing. The battery's dying so I have to go. I miss you and love you.

3 comments:

Sara Huber said...

Hey! I am Julie Zeller's sister-in-law...she sent me your blog address because we were at Tenwek a couple months ago and she thought I would be interested to read your updates. Anyway, please tell Janet hello...we love her too! She was the biggest pleasant surprise of our time there. I actually just sent a package for her with someone who flies out today and Amy Bemm will hopefully pass it on to her. Blessings to you in your time at Tenwek! You will learn a ton! Sara Huber

Anonymous said...

Hey Tia,

So glad you guys are there...I hope Bethany adjusts soon. I hope this is a great experience for you both!!

Love,
Julie Z

Anonymous said...

We are so glad to hear you made it there safely. Hudson misses his baby. We will check back to hear all about your trip!