Thursday, June 12, 2008

Continued.....

I’m going to post again b/c we have some good internet connections right now! I love reading everyone’s comments and emails. I might not get to write everyone back individually but I appreciate all the connecting. We just had morning Chai. This is like a Kenyan thing at 10 am and then at 3 pm everyone has chai, a Kenyan drink that’s a milky sweet taste. Not bad. We are eating soooo well. The food is great and the helpers are awesome cooks. Every Wednesday the missionary families have lunch at the hospital restaurant and we get sodas and French fries there!!!
We are staying in the guesthouse quarters in a family apartment. It’s nice but we are right beside the public road (dirt road) and it is soooo loud. Our first day here I set Bethany up in her room and laid her down for a nap and I heard a cow mooing in her monitor! It freaked me out b/c I thought it was in her room! She loves the cows though. She moos everytime we see one, which is often. She started calling us Mommy and Daddy all of the sudden. We never refer to each other as that but she just started and is big on saying it all the time. She’s also gotten the hang of saying “please” and doing the sign that goes with it.
The compound is nice. The career missionary’s homes are all very nice compared to what I had in my mind. The compound is more open than I thought but there are security people out and about and several nursing and FP residents that live and go to school here. We really enjoy it here except at night, I start to get homesick. There’s nothing like your own bed!
The weather is great! 70’s during the day and cool at night. The Kenyans where toboggans and all but for us it’s wonderful! Well, I need to go before my luck runs dry with the internet. Hope everyone is good.

. Hannah, that is the right website. It’s very outdated and there’s a team here right now changing the website to help raise money and be more informative for the missionaries coming in.
Anna, keep sending the emails. I don’t care if they’re random! Tell me how ATL was. Oh, and we didn’t forget the backpack but I ‘m kicking myself for not bringing it! I am having to tie Bethany in a Conga on my back. My helper showed me how to do it. It's sort of like a sling thing.
Kara, Sam and Anna/Mark and Tanya- thanks for the cards. I read them a lot for encouragement.
Sara Huber-Janet says “thank you Sara I received your message. I still love you and remember you. Thank you for the time I spent with you. I hope you got home safely and I hope your family is doing well. My family is doing well and all of us are remembering you. And thank you for visiting my house. And I heard there is something you are sending me and I’m excited to see. Thank you for your prayers. I don’t have much to say maybe I’ll write to you more. Pass my greeting to your boys and your husband. Have a nice time. Love, Janet.”
Adrienne- tell Hudson that Baby said hey and she misses him.
Brooke B/C- HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY

6 comments:

HollyMarie said...

I'm so excited to be reading your posts from Kenya! You will be excited too (I'm sure) when you hear (if you haven't already!) that the first infant referrals came through for Bethany! Kelli and Mark received a healthy referral for a baby girl and Beth received a healthy referral for a toddler boy! Things are moving...

May God bless your time there!

Tanya & Mark & kids said...

We are so glad to hear from you, and know that all is well. I called Gamo and left a message that you were well and to check your blog. Kara and Anna are in basketball camp this week. Give Bethany lots of kisses for us. We pray for each of you and your ministry daily. Lots of love from Travelers Rest to Kenya.

Anonymous said...

Kara
Hey Tia i miss you sooooo much! i can't wait until you come home! but I understand and i am glad that you are doing a good thing and spreading god's word!well i just got out of Basketball camp and i got in the finalists of a contest for layups but i didnt win it! Also, i won knock out 2 times in a row! well make sure joey hears that!!! Well i miss bethany so much! and joey! Well just think about when I see you when you come home, you better be ready for a tight, long hug! Last night we were in a bad lighting storm and we were coming home from Sam's club and we saw all the houses down the road with out power! Then we saw our front porch lights on! well I think this comment is getting pretty long so i will tell you more when you replay! i love you sooooo much! i am praying for you all every night! and thinking of you every second! i love and miss you sooooo much! bye!

Anonymous said...

hey girl! just thought i would write again before we left. i'm so glad things are going well for yall! i knew you would love it there. we continue to pray each day for your time in kenya and for safety. also, i love your blog...started one for us!!:) love ya, karen

Anonymous said...

hey! here's a link to my blog about tenwek. i post every day usually so don't feel like you have to read it because obviously you're living it with me!!!

juliadesantis.wordpress.com

Alicia said...

I was just catching up with you guys by reading your blog - It sounds like you're doing great! I wanted to give you the link to my pastor's blog. He and his wife just traveled to Ethiopia to get their beautiful baby girl Mercy... I hope their story is encouraging to you in this process! I hope to get to see your family sometime soon!

indescribablyhappy.blogspot.com