Thursday, December 02, 2010

Face to Face

J P,
We are such proud parents at this moment! After all of our flight delays, we stepped out of the airport at 10:45 in Addis Ababa and went straight to visit you. The other families had been visiting yesterday and all morning and when we first arrived you and the other children were having a very busymorning with all the parents playing with you.  Your dad and I went to you but you shyed away from us.  Daddy did get you to kick a ball with him before the Nannies took you inside for lunch. I noticed that you barely ate any of your food but drank all your milk!  You and your big sister share this common trait! Once the Nannies brought out the dum-dums you were done with your food. Your special friend was there and very happy to greet us and play with us.  While you were eating she came and took your block.  You calmly called the Nanny and pointed to tell on her.  WHen the Nanny didn't understand, you got up and pointed harder!  THe Nanny went to her and she took off running with a smile on her face!  The Nannies report that you "fight and play with her a lot" since you are close to the same age. 
She was an important tool to getting you to warm up to me and your dad.  At one point, you cried when we tried to show you too much attention and we had to give you some time to come to us on your own. I helped convince you to do that by giving you candy:)  The Nanny then came and sat with me and your friend and got a a pile of books to get you close to me.  It worked! And before long you and your friend were laughing at me make animal noises and fishy faces.  Your friend especially liked the fishy face and belly-laughed each time I did it and this would make you laugh at her.  It warmed my heart each time I heard you sweet laugh or saw that big smile.  You kept pointing to the kitty because you wanted me to meow.  I think you and Bethany will get along just fine:)
Soon after I was able to cuddle you some and get you comfortable, we had to leave.  We tried to get you to wave bye-bye to us but you started to get shyagain. After we turned to leave you ran to the door and waved bye bye to us and gave us a big smile.  This was the best moment of our day with you! 
We understand that it will take you time to love us and trust us.  We are okay with that and will give you as much time as you need.  But you must know that we have loved you long before this meeting.
We are going to visit you tomorrow and I know that we gained good ground today.
 
With Love and Patience,
Your Parents
 



3 comments:

Hannah said...

This brought tears to my eyes! I am beyond thrilled for the whole Patrick Family! I can't wait to hear more!!

The Wiersmas said...

Oh Tia! Please update us after tomorrow's meeting. I know today was such a special day for you, Joey, and JP.

Somewhere Over The Rainbow said...

What an amazing day!!!! To meet your son for the first time!! I am so thankful that you are writing all of this down. HOw fun to be able to read this to him! Praying for your hearts!!