Thursday, November 03, 2011

Memphis in full show

This isn't "my" tree but these are some downtown trees:)

Today as the kids and I were riding to bible study I was enjoying the beautiful show that Memphis is in the midst of.  To be honest, until last week, I was disturbed that I had somehow moved from the lush, green and beautiful land of Upstate South Carolina to what was seemingly a pretty pitiful fall display.  There were no turning of leaves to brilliant bright reds, oranges and yellows. Instead the trees remained green and some just went to straight brown or had fallen to the ground.  It was yet another small grievance on my behalf.  But last week I woke up and walked out our front door to a beautiful, confident, bright yellow maple in a lot across the street that is home to an abandoned house.  I rode around last week and found that Memphis was going to prove she was just a pretty as my Carolina.  It really was a sweet comfort to my sometimes homesick soul.  I was marveling at what is sure to be a short-lived miracle this morning and worshiping God in song and the Lord spoke to my heart.  He used that tree across the street to give me a pretty useful analogy.  It's funny that the Lord can bring beauty out of despair.  Most people in Memphis would ride around Orange Mound and see blight, crime, and poverty. In fact, over the last two weeks I've encountered my first taste of not-so-understanding Memphians.  People here are really concerned about where people live.  Normally I try to give a general answer but they're not happy with that.  Memphians want to know your cross street.  Stranges thing.  So a couple of times I was talking with someone and they kept pressing about where I moved to in Memphis and I'm trying to avoid because I've already picked up that they're not going to be very understanding of our choice.  So push comes to shove and out comes Orange Mound and I see anxiety and discomfort written all over their faces.  And I wish I could somehow bring words to encourage them to give it a chance.  To not miss the blessing I'm receiving.  After living here for only a few short months and beginning to know it more intimately I've found that it's an extraordinary place.  My neighbors are special and wonderful people who were created by our Masterful Maker for a purpose in the history of time.  There is beauty in ashes and strength in weakness.  The tree also showed me that, yes, Jesus does choose to use us despite our sin.  That His Majesty shines even through the filth of our nature and our constant waywardness.  When I look across the street and I'm tempted to see only a boarded up home and empty lots and find reason to complain about where I'm at, I hope my heart remembers the splendor of a simple maple tree in a Memphis November.  That the Lord is at work in the most unusual places and that he normally uses the low and little and humble places on Earth to reveal His Glory.
I'll leave you with a picture of the three little maples in my life....

No comments: