Thursday, June 25, 2009

I will trust in YOU

So it's been a while since I've really updated... sorry about that. I know I have a few faithful readers but most of you are faithful friends too, so my news really isn't news. But I do like to share my thoughts.

We were in Memphis last month and got to meet some really neat people doing mighty work for God in some of the worst areas of our nation. It was really encouraging to meet these docs and teachers and pastors. We had a really good conversation with the "chaplain" of Christ Community Clinic. Hang with me on this story because it's so applicable to life.


Nathan was telling the story of how he and his family moved into the area and felt a peace about doing something that seemed totally illogical to most everyone, even themselves. He was telling us about the story of the Israelites that Moses had led out of slavery in Egypt to the desert. God had promised them a land flowing with milk and honey. A land that was rich and plentiful. They had wondered in the desert for 40 years questioning God. Finally, God told Moses to send spies into the land and bring evidence of the milk and honey back. So, spies went in and brought back branches bearing fruit. They gave the account and said that it was true, this was a prosperous land. But there were giants in there. They could never defeat this great city. They grew angry at God and said they would rather return to Egypt and live in slavery rather than die fighting this battle or wondering the desert.

That is so like us people. We see God move and don't believe. We experience His miracles and still question. And when he brings us to our promise we would rather return to being a slave in sin and disbelief and distrust. Over centuries in time this still holds true to the human condition.


God did eventually bring them to that promised land. And they marched around that city for 7 days and shouted and the walls came tumbling down! Who would have thought that would be the way God would bring them to their land. Without a weapon used.


I needed to be reminded of that this week. I needed to remember that God doesn't bring me to something and then back away from it. He accomplishes His plan but it's usually much different than I expect but it's also more glorious.

Romans 8:28
And we know that all things for for the good of those who love God and are called according to HIS purpose.


Here's some pictures from our Memphis trip


Baptism House Church style.... in the back of a truck
















Memphis Redbirds Game ( we all just happened to be wearing yellow, it wasn't planned)

















Joey and Bethany at Overton Park enjoying a sunny Sunday


















Me and my girl seeing the Peabody ducks
She had to wear her Memphis Zoo shirt everyday...

2 comments:

Lindsi said...

Thanks so much for that story Tia! I went searching for your blog today because you guys have been on my mind. I think it was God directing me to your post (from 5 weeks ago! :-) Because it was exactly what I needed to hear today as my husbands job search continues. I hope you guys are doing so well and I hope to see you soon! With all my love ~ Lindsi

HollyMarie said...

That IS a great message Tia. Thanks for sharing here. :)