Monday, March 17, 2008

Kenya, Here we come.......

So, we have finally gotten a clear answer on our African trip. If you received our Christmas Newsletter you know that we were planning a family mission trip to Kenya this summer, but a few days after Christmas a civil war broke out and the trip was put in a "holding" phase. Plans started to uproot after the missionary family that we knew left the country due to her pregnancy and the uncertainty of one of Africa's most stable countries. After much consideration and a recent resolution, The Patrick family is headed to the highlands of Kenya to Bomet. We are disappointed that we won't be in-country with the McGees but are certain the Lord is more than enough to sustain us on this trip. We will be there for 7 weeks and Joey will be working at the hospital. It is primarily staffed by Kenyans but through several world mission organizations it welcomes and depends on short-term Western and European physicians and residents. There are a few full-time Western staffers but mostly volunteers like our family.
We will be living on the missionary compound with all the other missionaries which is a blessing but also a little disappointing to me. I would love to be engulfed by the culture of this country but also grateful to have others to relate to and rely on. I will have "helpers" that stay daily and help with Bethany, housework, and cooking. Everything has to be made from scratch so these women will help me learn to really cook!! I can use my helpers as little or as much as possible. If I want to really help in the orphanage or hospital these wonderful ladies will act as a "nanny" for Bethany. I'm not sure which direction I'll take with this but it's nice to have the option. I'm missing so many details but will save some for later. I really just wanted to put this out there and get some prayer for our family. Check out the link. It will provide some information if your curious.

3 comments:

Beth said...

What an amazing experience this will be! Will you get to blog from Kenya? I hope you will have some internet access so you can share your story online while you are there.

HollyMarie said...

How awesome this will be for your family! What a blessing to be able to go and spend 7 weeks there! Looking forward to hearing more!

KEVA said...

YEs! I am so glad you guys are getting to go.